1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before? Added a new state to my list: Washington. Got to see Seattle, and the Olympic Peninsula and the northern Cascades. Gorgeous place!
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I didn't get through as much as I'd have liked, but I did make progress. Haven't decided yet what scripture passage to tackle first in 2014, but I do plan to continue.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My sister-in-law gave birth to Jeremiah in March. Seven kids and one big white van!
4. Did anyone close to you die? On the homefront, I put my bengal Arun down on January 25, at close to 13 years of age. On the workfront, Rich, the husband of a coworker, passed away unexpectedly on June 5.
5. What countries did you visit? None but my own.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? Time for something OTHER than WORK!
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? April 13-21, my week off to belatedly celebrate 20 years since meeting t'DoL. Also November 18, when I finished my eighth novel.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting a novel written in under 12 months, even though it was pretty much the only achievement of 2013.
9. What was your biggest failure? Where to start and how to stop? There were lots this wretched year. First and foremost, the paucity of time for writing or editing. I did not get a SINGLE short story written this year, though 90k words in 'TFE' is some consolation. Also miserable that I didn't get to do ANYTHING for t'DoL's birthday this year. Art stunk as well—only managed two big projects all year, and one medium one. I haven't gotten to have fun making an animation in I-don't-want-to-know-how-long. *sob* Beyond that, a pathetic book total for the year, and though part of it was because I focusing on enjoying my own stuff between Feb-Apr as part of my 20th, the plain fact is that this year was rotten for read. Even Netflix keeps making money off me because I can't come up with the time to watch movies all that frequently. Not to mention finances— I'll stop now before I jump out the windows...
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Aside from recuperating from trashing my back at the end of 2012, nothing significant, thank God! In fact, this year saw some significant health blessings, one of which was the fact that having central air at last massively suppressed my summer depression symptoms. What a blessing!
11. What was the best thing you bought? Nothing really jumps out at me. Maybe airfare.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Ever and always, the Towners. They are such incredible people, and what a blessing to have them in my life! My wonderful aunt Hilda, for her generosity, her wonderful notes, her remembrance and phone calls. My manager Jodi, for her perseverance and above-and-beyond work and concern with all that's been dropped on her plate in the past months. Twindragonsmum, for remembering me. My mom, for being priceless. Dawn, for being Dawn. =)
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I'll start by saying 'ditto 2011', since that level of asshole behavior is rank enough to foul an entire decade. Second place runner-up goes to my employer, for banning all of us from any access to personal e-mail on all company devices. I deeply resent being treated like a criminal and like property while on the job, particularly when I'm stuck there 55+ hours a week. They destroyed a lot of my loyalty with that one fell move, though fortunately for them I still have a lot remaining for my department and immediate superiors.
14. Where did most of your money go? Furniture, airfare, vacations.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Definitely celebrating 20 years since I first 'met' t'DoL in 1993, though I had to celebrate a few months late thanks to WORK.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013? I've probably said this most every year, but I don't associate songs and years well at all. If I did, I expect it would be the track 'Dreammaker' from the cd 'Illusions' by Thomas Bergersen, because of my association with the Shado coming to the Blessed Realm, and 2013 being the year I wrote its novel.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Equally busy and stressed, but in far less pain.
ii. thinner or fatter? According to my log, the last three years have ended at the exact same weight, hah!
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Writing, art, reading, watching episodes/movies...essentially everything except WORK.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Wait for it... WORK. =P
20. How did you spend Christmas? A nice quiet day at home in which I tried to forget my job existed, made great progress with 'TFE' whole-book checks, some enjoyable reading and watching 'The Nativity Story,' and then headed over to the Towners for a massive feast and Jesus' birthday cake. Very nice!
21. How will you spend New Year's Eve? WORKING. At least I get a free bus ride home for leaving after 6!
22. Did you fall in love in 2013? Does falling in love with the northern Cascades in Washington count?
23. How many one-night stands? Same answer as the last nine years: Never have, never shall.
24. What was your favorite TV program? Didn't have time for such things...but on my vacation in November, my family introduced me to 'Elementary,' 'Numbers,' and 'Continuum,' all of which I'm very keen on seeing more of.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Nope, same as the last nine years.
26. What was the best book you read? I didn't get that much reading done this year...for new reads, Martha Well's 'The Siren Depths' was probably the most captivating.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? 'Discovery' might not be the best word, but I am loving the 'Man of Steel' soundtrack.
28. What did you want and get? Made some nice progress on my guest room during the summer, thought I still have a ways to go to finish it.
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Seen in theater: 'Man of Steel.' Watched at home: 'John Carter.'
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 38. My birthday fell on a Saturday and I spent it in the office WORKING.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? More feedback on novellas, stories, and novels.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013? Same answer as the last years: I just keep on hating fashion, as I have since elementary school.
34. What kept you sane? Same answer as the last years: t'DoL keeps me both sane and insane. =)
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Usually, I can't be bothered to pay much attention, but right now it's Phil Robertson. *cuddles* And since I try not to engage in hate speech in public, I will clench my teeth and stop right here.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? I think it will have to be 'ditto last year' for this one.
37. Who did you miss? Definitely my former boss Bill after he left my department.
38. Who was the best new person you met? 'Best' seems unfair to everyone else, but one new person I'm very glad to have met and worked with is Mary, a consultant who helped out with the huge BD project that's been engulfing my life. Looking forward to working with her some more in January!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013: That some people can have far more compassion for my characters, even the 'villains,' then they could ever bother to muster for me. Ah, the irony! The hypocrisy! The absurdity!
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: Ha ha, how can I pass this up?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store
Thank God I'm not in debt financially, but I feel like debt, enslaved to this job and pouring my life down the drain!: